BI Report Developer
Hampton Roads Transit
Position: BI Report Developer
Reports To: Director of Technology
Salary: Determined on Qualifications
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without current or future company sponsorship.
This position is primarily responsible for designing, developing, and supporting new and existing reports, designing, programming, deploying Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics reports and developing BI dashboards to meet the enterprise-wide self-service needs - ultimately developing the agency’s overall reporting solution. To succeed, one must be great at SQL development, computer system analysis and data analysis, have an excellent grasp of performance considerations (metrics), have great visual design sense, and must improve our reporting technology. The ability to suggest new solution that haven’t been thought of is just as important as being able to honor requests. Additional duties include web-based programming, software program debugging, ability to improve our Software Development Life Cycle processes, managing BI and Data Warehouse report data repositories, software and servers, meeting users for requirements, supporting deployment to cloud-based and enterprise environments, and delivering high quality solutions on time and within budget.
Provide hands-on integration and management of Business Intelligence/Analytics software tools and applications working with internal stakeholders to understand their business information needs, gather requirements, design, and build best-in-class BI and reporting solutions.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Dedicated to creating quality reports and applications and accountable for doing whatever is necessary towards that end.
- Strong software development and programming skills.
- Research ideas and software technology necessary to program and implement browser-based reporting solutions.
- Learn new skills as needed to complete all responsibilities.
- Design new reports and reporting solutions from requirements and from an understanding of organizational business needs.
- Working closely with product owners to develop and present reports and dashboards to the end users.
- Supporting software development, testing and implementation of new BI/Data Warehouse dashboard reports – programming, modifying, testing and implementing current reports.
- Through BI software development activities and collective understanding of the enterprise-wide business needs, promote the use of self-service products.
- Providing support to the development of training materials and training activities related to the BI tools and applications.
- Participating in the formulation of development procedures, standards, deployment/retirement and archiving as related to the BI tools and applications.
- Assisting in development of project definitions, including proposals, estimates, planning, schedules and documentation.
- Ability to listen to user requirements and convey messages in a clear, concise, and empathetic manner using the appropriate communication medium; Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability presenting to small work groups on both technical and functional requirements
- Team oriented with good interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with coworkers and internal customers
- The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, including executives, managers, and subject matter experts
- Responsible for coordinating the records management effort within the department.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Highly skilled in performing work requiring accuracy and detail.
- Ability to analyze data in databases (SQL) and spreadsheets (MS Excel) and to present analysis and recommendations.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in an environment subject to disruptions and/or a rapidly changing focus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in extracting data from and analyzing data in relational database systems – specifically Oracle RDBMS and SQL Server
- Experience with data modeling/related and ETL concepts preferred
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively convey information and work well in a structured environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management and within the business administrative, maintenance, functional and technical communities.
- Ability to multi-task, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure and meet multiple deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Advanced proficiency in MS Office, particularly Excel, and working knowledge of data warehousing.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Programming, Analytics, or Business
Minimum of 3 years report development experience with 3-5 years IT experience with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices. 3+ years development experience in a BI and data warehouse environment.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some overtime.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Report Developer Jobs
- View more Computers/IT/Technology Jobs
- View more Hampton Roads Transit Jobs