Bus Operator Trainee
HRT - Hampton Roads Transit
Position: Bus Operator
Department: Transit Operations
Reports To: Lead Instructor
Hourly Wage: $9.00 hr during training
$14.06 hr as a Full-time Operator
Responsible for operating Agency revenue service vehicles safely to include 29 to 40 ft buses used in public transportation in the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach. Assumes responsibility for the safety of Agency customers and equipment; performs routine vehicle inspections to ensure proper operations. Communicates appropriate information to customers, Supervisors and other designated to receive such information. Answers inquiries from customers and others. Follows Agency transportation guidelines, operating rules and procedures. Responsible for collecting fares, overseeing the safety of passengers, resolving problems, providing good customer relations and maintaining public trust. Arrives on-time and works independently with minimal supervision, however, work performance is carefully and frequently evaluated by supervisor through monitoring of bus schedule adherence, driving record, and the courteous treatment of the public.
Essential Job Functions:
Operates a transit vehicle to pick up, transport and discharge passengers while adhering to transit vehicle route schedule and maintaining a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Operates any one of the five models of buses varying in size from 29 to 40 ft.
- Complete familiarization with system and safety features; geography and roadways of an assigned route and of the entire service area; traffic rules, regulations and laws, transfer points and fare structures.
- Refers to time schedules and instructions for pull-outs, line service, pull-ins, and off-route trips
- Provides information on bus services to passengers which include bus schedules, routes and fare information.
- Receives and transmits two-way radio messages involving accidents, incidents, emergencies, criminal activities, or other authorized HRT business utilizing judgment and discretion to ensure customer and individual safety.
- Maintains radio contact with CENTRAL Communication to report transit vehicle breakdown, accidents, interruptions in service, or other vital information to maintain efficient transit operations.
- Writes reports and completes forms as required, may prepare detailed written reports concerning accidents incidents, breakdowns and mechanical defects, as required at the end of their shift.
- Adheres to safety rules, regulations, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to ensure the well being of Hampton Roads Transit customers and employees.
- Operates a passenger bus safely and effectively in accordance with the Virginia Code and local traffic regulations.
- Maintains scheduled time over assigned route.
- Ensures safe operation of HRT vehicles under adverse conditions.
- Performs vehicle operations at varying hours of day and night. Will work outside regular business hours as required by the Labor Agreement and by the selection of posted runs.
- Collects proper fares from boarding passengers.
- Operates a wheelchair lift, secures passengers wheelchair and assists passengers with disabilities in boarding, riding and alighting in a safe manner which may include pushing a manual wheelchair up a particularly steep ramp.
- All other duties as assigned
Examples of Duties (Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned)
Performs HRT pre-trip inspection of transit bus for mechanical problems prior to beginning scheduled run. This includes conducting an external/internal visual inspection of the transit bus and pre-testing all necessary equipment, operating/safety devices, and transit bus controls for use while in service. Also conducts an internal visual inspection at the end of revenue service to collect and turn-in lost items.
- Operates a motor coach safely and in accordance with designated schedule.
- Regulate heating, lighting and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Operates transit vehicle doors to allow passengers to enter and leave the bus.
- Must maintain order among passengers during trips to ensure safety a comfortable ride.
- Aids passengers with boarding and departing from the transit vehicle, answers passenger questions regarding HRT’s public transit services and the operating cities.
- Announces major intersections, transfer points, and points of interest, assists in loading, securing, and unloading wheelchairs and passengers. Clearly communicates the action being taken based on the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Ensures deposit of prescribed fares and sells day passes.
- Picks up and drops off passengers at designated bus stops
- Operates a two-way radio.
HRT ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (EMS):
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Ability to comprehend and operate bus on all streets in Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.
- Ability to operate vehicle under safest possible conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain good public relations and effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to successfully complete the Bus Operator Training Program, which includes achieving the required minimum scores on all written and driving tests and evaluations.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- History of satisfactory attendance, which includes the ability to report to work in a punctual manner.
- Ability to read and understand maps and time tables, which includes determining directions and following a mapped-out route.
- Ability to use prudent judgment and common sense in making quick, safe decisions with minimal supervision and adapt to constantly changing operating environments.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, while interacting with customers and HRT staff in a courteous, professional manner. This includes providing good customer service by attending to the needs of a diverse customer base in a sensitive manner.
- Ability to work and maintain professional composure while under stress and pressure.
- Must have a working knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property and the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of defensive driving techniques, safety guidelines; customer service procedures and Standard Operating Procedures relevant to your position.
- Social perceptiveness skill. This includes being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Ability to see details from a distance, make sound judgment on objects that are closer or farther away from the vehicle ensuring the proper distance is maintained.
- Ability to recognize when something is going wrong and quickly respond to situations which may jeopardize the safety of customers.
- Must be able to listen, understand and carry out the information, ideas, and direction presented verbally, or electronically by CENTRAL Dispatch and or a street supervisor.
- A high degree of maturity, courtesy, memory, and concentration is needed to perform duties.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Basic computer systems for the acquisition of forms/reports in the operation of scheduled routes
Training and/or Education:
High School graduate and/or equivalent GED.
- Must be customer oriented and enjoy working with the public.
Minimum age is 21
- Three years public driving experience or five years general work experience.
- One year in a customer service related position.
Licenses or Certificates:
Must have valid Virginia driver’s license and be able to qualify for Commercial Driver's License.
- Virginia Commercial Drivers License with Airbrakes and Passenger Endorsement
- Current DMV driving record with no more than negative three points against record or no more than 1 major violation in 3 years must be presented at time of testing
Must successfully obtain an one year DOT physical examination by company doctor, including drug screening
- Must have successfully completed the training program given by Operations Training Department.
- Must successfully pass a job-related physical assessment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include, but are not limited to the following:
Climb and descend bus steps 3 times in 30 seconds
- Climb up and down the 18th street facility stairwell in 3 minutes
- Ability to walk approximately ¼ mile in all weather within 20 minutes
- Ability to bend at the knees or squat to perform various pre-trip requirements
- Lift a 30 pound object from ground to waist high and back to the ground
- Ability to kneel at wheelchair securement positions to insert, secure, and remove vehicle tie downs from tether straps or chair equipped securement positions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Must be able to work flexible hours on various days of the week. This includes weekends; evenings and holidays, and to be available for work on short notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some overtime.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Bus Operator Jobs
- View more Drivers/Transportation/Shipping Jobs
- View more HRT - Hampton Roads Transit Jobs