Bus Transportation Supervisor
Hampton Roads Transit
Position: Bus Transportation Supervisor
Department: Transit Operations
Reports To: Manager of Bus Transportation
Salary Range: $40,135 - $51,172
The Bus Transportation Supervisor ensures the efficient operation of daily transportation services and personnel assigned. Performs computerized radio dispatching functions. The Bus Transportation Supervisor is responsible for supervising and monitoring the activities of the bus operators oversees the daily dispatching of operators and equipment in accordance with Hampton Roads Transit, collective bargaining agreement and service requirements on a daily basis. Supervises personnel and ensures that scheduled and charter services operate efficiently. Monitors the Automatic Vehicle Location (CAD/AVL), the System Messages, Mechanical Alarms, Emergency Alarms, an the Schedule Adherence. Oversees radio dispatching to ensure compliance with operating standards, provides supervision and to assist staff with problems. This position will perform all functions of transportation including Central Dispatch, Dispatch and Street Supervision.
Essential Job Functions:
Monitors all phases of bus fleet, directs and coordinates the maintenance of schedules, fare collections, transfer problems, reporting of hazardous conditions and emergencies, and accident conducts investigations.
- Monitors the radio system and maintains constant radio contact with transit vehicle operators and other units in TDCHR to monitor and control on-street service and to respond to emergencies and special needs; relays information and instructions between operators and supervisors regarding operational hazards, schedule changes, etc.; contacts Police Department as required; contacts Maintenance in case of road failures.
- Responds to and resolves all radio calls regarding transit security incidents, accidents, and medical emergencies. Resolves all transit service disruptions, ensures all scheduled service is provided by authorizing bus operator overtime, instructing bus operators and mechanics, and monitoring vehicle locations within the service area.
- Monitors and maintains the on time service performance of the fleet using the CAD/AVL technology. Ensures documentation and service resolution for operators running outside the current operating standards, this includes in service vehicles as well as pull-in and pull-out vehicles.
- Ensures that all runs are filled by operators according to schedule; assigns stand-by operators to runs as required; assigns PM extras and relief work to extra board operators as required; distributes assignments, run guides, etc to operators.
- Provides direction and assistance for supervisors in their response to on-street incidents, service disruptions, severe weather, security incidents, major accidents, and road closures.
- Provides supervision, counseling and coaching of transit operators to ensure compliance with operating standards and to assist with problems; re-establishes schedules in case of breakdowns; controls unruly passengers; suggests alternative routing due to accidents.
- Supervises, instructs, counsels and coaches operators enforcing operating rules and policies, uniform regulation, general appearance, and readiness to work; documents daily activity as required.
- Evaluates schedules and recommends service modifications. Manages schedule for operator deployment to minimize unscheduled overtime.
- Provides direct supervision and discipline to Bus Operators using 800MHz radio, telephone and computerized text messaging for work directives or as requested by management, Service Development department, and Marketing department.
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, etc.
- Responds to calls concerning trouble on in-service buses to include mechanical trouble.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan.
- Responsible for ensuring employees in their respective functional areas have adequate training and tools necessary to meet the requirements of the EMS procedures and SOPs.
- Responsible for observing and evaluating required EMS competencies among employees in their respective functional areas.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Must be able to work with limited supervision from the Manager of Bus Transportation. Abnormal hours and/or spilt shifts may be required. Must be able to learn the procedures and operation of a complex two-way radio and computer terminal system. The ability to operate a radio system, to solve operator problems, reacts quickly and calmly in an emergency situation and adopt an effective course of action within established guidelines. The ability to handle heavy radio traffic. Must be able to use independent judgment and initiative in accordance with the accepted policies and procedures when faced with difficult or emergency situations. Must maintain courteous and tactful under stress and pressure from customers, vehicle operators, and co-workers. Must have considerable knowledge of the service area, routes and of types of equipment. The ability to work independently and to concentrate for long periods of time is necessary. This position requires the ability to coordinate with maintenance, risk management and security department as needed to manage incidents. Must be able to speak clearly and concisely and understand views and concerns of others as well as solve operator problems and to take effective action in emergencies. Ability to comprehend verbal information transmitted via radio or telephone and to speak in a manner that will be clearly transmitted by radio or telephone. The ability to read schedules, street maps, and local aids, and comprehend directions of travel. Ability to enter, correct and retrieve data using spreadsheets and word-processing software. Considerable knowledge of HRT policies and procedures, rules and regulations affecting transit operation to include knowledge of union contract. The ability to obtain knowledge of the Drug and Alcohol Policy and regulations is required in order to make reasonable suspicion determinations to recognize signs and symptoms of drug and/or alcohol misuse.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficient in using CAD/AVL Radio System and HASTUS is required. Proficiency in using transit computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Essential Software Applications:
MS Windows, MS Word, MS Outlook, Transit Master (CAD/AVL); HASTUS.
Education and/or Experience:
Preferred qualifications include the completion of an Associate Degree in Business Management or Business Administration or related field. Five (5) years transit experience and/or equivalent experience required; One (1) year or equivalent experience radio dispatching; Three (3) years experience in supervisory/management capacity.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Commercial Class B with Air Brake and P Endorsement and without a J restriction
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires frequent bending and kneeling. Must be able to drive and operate a vehicle.
This is a 24 hours per day/7day per week operation. Hours do include holidays, weekends and overnight shifts. Shifts may include up to 10 hours a day or longer during emergencies. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Bus Transportation Manager Jobs
- View more Drivers/Transportation/Shipping Jobs
- View more General/Other Jobs
- View more Management Jobs
- View more Hampton Roads Transit Jobs