Content Designer, AI Design
Job Title: Content Designer, AI Design
Location: Vienna, VA, 22180, USA
Description: Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
Content Designer, AI Design
How people talk about their lives, money, hopes, and fears depends on the person and their unique financial situation, and where they grew up, and who they’re friends with, and the economy, and HOLY COW a whole bunch of other factors …
But digging into these things so we can design natural conversations with our customers is exactly what we’re doing. And hopefully that’s why you’re reading–because you’ve got experience as a voice designer, narrative writer, or conversational designer … maybe at a voice software company or video game studio … and you’re curious about what it’d be like to develop the character and conversation of Capital One’s conversational messaging products. Which reach millions of people every day.
So here are a few things you can expect to do each week:
- Design conversations we’ll have with customers. And don’t do it sitting alone at your computer; instead, co-write it together with your teammates from product, engineering, and brand. That way, the conversation gets to market faster, more clearly, and with everyone having contributed equally to its success.
- Create a voice aligned with our Brand, but also fit for different kinds of customers. Designing natural, helpful, and personalized conversations that people want to have with us requires knowing who we’re talking to, and knowing who WE are, too. You’ll be THE voice designer on our core team, which means we’ll look to you for developing the voice and character of our messaging products.
- Iterate on/edit Language Trees currently in market. Because every day, we learn a little bit more about what kind of conversations our customers want to have with us … the language they use to talk about money, the kind of people they aspire to be, and whether we’re building the kinds of products they really need. So for products like our Alexa skill on the Amazon Echo, you’ll find new ways to communicate while your team finds new ways to connect people with their money, effortlessly.
- Analyze customer data, and watch market trends for conversational interfaces and Artificial Intelligence. We’re using data from our customers and potential customers to define the future of our messaging products, which include our Alexa skill. And you’ll use this data to inform how you design the conversation for those products, and guide your team to do the same. You’ll go to conferences or speak on panels or talk to your friends about what’s happening in the industry, and what we’re doing to completely change customers’ expectations on what their bank can do for them.
- Co-create content with copywriters, legal, PR, and other communications partners. Together, you’re designing the entire ecosystem of content for our messaging products and conversational interfaces, so it’s super crucial you’re a collaborative, inclusive person who can comfortably transition between strategic planning to detailed execution–from discussing brand personality conceptually, to tactically choosing words that deliver the right message, in the right way.
- Translate functional use cases into conversational use cases. For example, because we’re an Agile team, we may define a functional use case called “Customer can pay bill.” You’ll go deep to include the nuanced statements customers make when encountering this use case, like “When is my bill due?” or “How much do I owe?” That way, you’ll be leading the design of a master conversational architecture our entire company can lean on–one that includes context specific to each functional use case. And that context makes the difference between a robotic interaction, and something truly memorable our customers love.
So who are you? Probably someone whose colleagues and friends describe as:
- A master communicator who makes clarity from confusion
- A storyteller who embraces natural language over flowery, empty prose
- A confident person who’s humble, and never pretends to be someone s/he’s not
- An intensely creative person driven by design, language, and learning
- A natural leader who sparks conversations, speaks clearly, and invites others into his/her creative process
And what have you done so far in your career? Probably something like:
Journalism – You know how to lead with the meat, and add context to make it stick
Video game design/storytelling – You know how to say only what’s most important right now, and increasingly reveal more detail as someone goes deeper into your story
Character development – You know how to define and maintain a character’s personality through language and storytelling
Content design – You know how to design the language of an interaction–and potentially even those without digital interfaces–so it feels like a conversation
Data analysis – You pay attention to qualitative and quantitative data, even baking in certain tests to learn more about the customer. You don’t make design decisions in a black box
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of narrative, character, or content design and development experience.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), or Design
- 7+ years of narrative, character, content design and development experience.
- 5+ years of experience designing for digital products and interactions
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.