Hampton Roads Transit
Position: Fleet Technician
Department: Transit Operations/Maintenance
Reports To: Fleet Maintenance Supervisor
Hourly Wage: $23.09
The Fleet Technician is responsible for all facets of bus maintenance including but not limited to; high level diagnostics, perform various types of preventive maintenance, repair of all subsystems associated with a transit bus or support vehicle either in the field or at Operations garage. Fleet Technician will also perform road service calls and/or work assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor. Fleet Technician reports to the Maintenance Supervisor on duty.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs root-cause troubleshooting and repair of all HRT vehicles.
- Ensure accurate diagnosis and the effective repair and/or replacement of components necessary for the proper functioning of assigned equipment using advanced diagnostic equipment.
- Effectively and efficiently performs preventive maintenance inspections.
- Ensure the timely and effective repair of any problems identified in the course of maintenance activities
- Maintains and demonstrates a high level of proficiency in:
- Troubleshooting and repair of vehicle fuel delivery systems, engines and transmissions using on-board diagnostics and appropriate scan tools.
- Repairing and inspecting air conditioning units and wheelchair lifts.
- Troubleshooting vehicle electronic systems using multiplex and/or electronic control module.
- Repairing and adjusting all components of steering and suspension systems.
- Testing, repairing and/or replacing components of electrical, electronic and lighting systems.
- Diagnosis and repair of Hybrid systems.
- Repairing and overhauling brake systems.
- Road testing vehicles to ensure safety and quality of work performed.
- Use of Maintenance documentation and online services.
- Adheres to the highest quality standards and meets or exceeds the original equipment manufacturers’ requirements in the performance of all job responsibilities
- Advise supervisor immediately if additional work is needed, if work outlined is not needed, or if repairs cannot be completed within the promised time frame.
- Operate fork lift.
- Perform other maintenance duties or assignments as requested
- Ability to utilize Windows and other computer programs such as Adobe Reader
- Interact effectively, courteously, and professionally with operations department employees and other HRT employees regarding vehicle repairs and other shop business.
- Assume primary responsibility of assigned projects.
- Complete all required written and/or automated work orders and other documentation as required.
- Report equipment abuse or component tampering to the shop supervisor.
- Provide assistance, guidance, training, and direction to other shop personnel as needed.
- Be involved in the daily operation of the shop and be able to fill in during the absence of the supervisor.
- Possess the ability to interpret maintenance manuals, wiring diagrams and other documents and to safely operate all company equipment.
- Maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with HRT/OSHA standards.
- Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safely uses all power and hand held mechanic tools
- Maintain awareness and compliance with all current HRT, local, state, and federal regulations, such as regulations governing the handling and disposal of hazardous waste and use of personal protection equipment.
HRT Environmental Management System (EMS):
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Associates Degree/Vocational Training certificate in Automotive Technologies with (3) three years mechanical experience in a diesel fleet environment.
- ASE certifications H8 or T8 and 3 of either H2-H7 or T2-T7. Preference will be given to candidates possessing certifications needed to fill department skill gaps at the time of application.
Must have five (5) years heavy duty shop experience within the past ten (10) years. Must have proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of all HRT vehicles and be able to read/comprehend written and electronic service information.
Licenses or Certificates:
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL Permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
- Must Pass HRT’s written and technical skills assessment(s) with a minimum 80% score for each segment to be considered for employment in the position
- Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements to retain employment in this position.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs as well as capable of prolonged periods of standing, walking, squatting, twisting and reaching. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in all weather conditions and on all work shifts including weekends and holidays. Hampton Roads Transit is a 24 / 7 /365 operation. Incumbents in the position will be required to work variable shifts as assigned. Duties may require overtime to meet service demands. Overtime is mandatory for this position. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Automotive/Mechanics Jobs
- View more Drivers/Transportation/Shipping Jobs
- View more General/Other Jobs
- View more Hampton Roads Transit Jobs