GIS Platform Engineer
Job Title: GIS Platform Engineer
Location: McLean, VA, 22106, USA
Description: 1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
GIS Platform Engineer
We’re Capital One. Yep, the “What’s in your wallet?” people. But we are oh so much more than that. Did you know we’re a full service bank? Checking accounts, savings accounts, mortgages, and car loans. We could tell you more, but you’re going to check out our web site anyway, right?
Here are some of our favorites:
Capital One has a history of disrupting, and we are doing it again. We’re experimenting, innovating, and delivering really cool stuff to 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, to ask, “What if?” Oh, and we love to write code.
Your commitment to learn new things is every bit as important to us as what you have already done. Maybe even more so because we don’t want to be doing the same thing tomorrow that we’re doing today. You accept change, want to grow, and evolve into a better member of the team.
The ideal candidate will be able to jump right into a GIS software engineering role. Looking for a strong character who is very assertive and articulates technology well. This person need to understand the buzzwords not just say / use them. This person should have a focus on performance and needs to know how to build a complete application from the DB through to the front end work with nothing more than a conceptual understanding and visual designs as needed. They should have a passion in learning new technologies, innovating and driving change, and collaborating other developers and building amazing geospatial solutions that help visualize and solve complex challenges.
As a GIS Platform Engineer, you’ll be part of a team responsible for:
• Designing, building, deploying and maintaining the operational architecture, infrastructure and software stack for our Enterprise GIS Platform
• Building deployment automation scripts
• Designing and implementing robust platform monitoring systems, dashboards and solutions
• Responding to alerts and troubleshooting platform configuration issues
• Developing and deploying Enterprise GIS Services and Data Pipelines
• Integrating GIS Services with other business-intelligence systems
• Working closely with business partners and assisting their GIS Development teams with design and development of new GIS Solutions
• Setup and management of continuous integration software build systems for the GIS Platform
• Documenting GIS Services, APIs, User Guides and best practices for end users
• Full participation in the Agile Scrum process, including speaking up and giving your opinion!
• Ready, willing, and able to pick up new technologies and pitch in on story tasks (design, code, test, CI/CD, deploy, etc)
• Mentor and raise the game of teammates in all areas
• Able to research and learn new methodologies and technologies and bring knowledge to the team
• You’re a tinkerer and love technology - HoloLens, Google Dream, Arduino, RaspberryPi, IoT, AR/VR, Creative Coding; you like hackathons and innovation sprints!
• You’re passionate about GIS and the potential it offers to visualize and solve some of the most complex challenges
This position provides exposure to the following technologies and solutions.
Which one of these below would you consider a part of your personal top 3? Any one would be a great start! If you so desire, you will have an opportunity to become familiar with the rest.
• Multi-tiered web and application server systems including Apache, Tomcat and/or Glassfish
• Linux Servers
• Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS, RDS, ELB, DynamoDB, Aurora, etc.)
• Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL)
• Deployment and configuration management using Chef and/or CloudFormation
• CI/CD using Git, Jenkins and Nexus
• Python, Java, PHP, REST, SOAP
• CSS Frameworks such as Bootstrap, Calcite-Web, Calcite-Maps, Dojo-Flat, Foundation3
• Development toolchains such as Grunt and Gulp
• Esri and/or BoundlessGeo technology stacks
• At least 1 year of experience with Amazon Web Services
• At least 2 years of Software Development experience
• 3 years of software development experience
• 2 years of experience with Amazon Web Services.
• 2 years of experience developing GIS solutions based on the Esri or BoundlessGeo technology stack.
• Esri Certified ArcGIS Desktop, Web Application or Enterprise Developer (Associate or Professional)
This is a mid to senior-level position located in Mclean, VA. It is permanent and full-time, beginning as soon as we find the right person.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.