Legal Assistant - Litigation
Legal Assistant - Litigation
Administrative/Clerical - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Performs secretarial/legal assistant duties in support of two seasoned litigation attorneys. Responsibilities are supervised; however, duties require independent judgment, knowledge and proficiency in performing legal secretarial practices and procedures. Position may be assigned to provide back-up support in the absence of other assigned secretaries and, as necessary, provide coverage for the front-desk/receptionist.
Supervising attorneys and Management Team
- Full Time
- May require some work on nights and weekends
Required Education, Skills and Experience
- Requires either (i) a four (4) year college degree from an accredited college or university; or (iii) minimum of seven (7) years experience as a legal secretary/legal assistant.
- Ability to use dictation equipment/transcription.
- Two or more years experience in the areas of complex federal court and Virginia state court civil litigation.
- Familiar and capable of filing with ECF and accessing PACER.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe and WordPerfect.
- Proficiency in Outlook and STI (TABS and PracticeMaster) applications, preferred.
- Accurate typing speed of at least 60 wpm.
- Ability to understand legal terminology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to produce work with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent spelling, punctuation, proofreading and grammar skills.
- Ability to exercise initiative in problem-solving and the proven ability to make sound decisions in absence of clear instructions.
- Ability to assist with basic legal research (Shepardize cases) is a plus.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Ability work under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reaching, handling, hearing, speaking, keyboarding.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Seated and/or standing for long periods of time.
- Maintains complex pleadings files.
- Maintains calendar (“tickle” system) of responsive pleadings’ due-dates.
- Must have experience and be capable of filing pleadings and briefs in federal courts using ICF, and in state courts (some state courts require electronic filing).
- Interacts with courts to schedule hearings and otherwise obtain case-related information.
- Prepares and proofreads complex correspondence and legal documents in an accurate and timely manner. Documents can include handwritten drafts, rough notes or dictated text from attorneys and paralegals.
- Organizes and maintains hardcopy or electronic correspondence, legal documents and computer-based calendars.
- Answers telephone and records and delivers messages promptly. Displays professional courtesy with all parties when engaged in telephone calls.
- Arranges appointments, notifies clients and others of appointments. Coordinates meeting arrangements, including catering and scheduling of conference rooms.
- Makes arrangements for and performs various support services as needed, including hand deliveries, requests for copy/duplicating services and travel arrangements. Coordinates courthouse filings.
- Types and submits attorney time sheets to Accounting in compliance with firm deadlines and procedures.
- Maintains client and firm files in accordance with firm procedures.
- Handles mailing of attorney’s monthly bills in accordance with firm procedures.
- Prepares forms for checks requests and other financial related documents in accordance with firm procedures.