Manager of Software Engineering
Job Title: Manager of Software Engineering
Location: Richmond, VA, 23261, USA
Description: West Creek 5 (12075), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
Manager of Software Engineering
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. We're changing banking for good.
At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask “what if?” Capital One started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we have become one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for software engineers who want to build innovative applications to give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money, as we seek to disrupt the industry again.
As a Capital One Software Engineering Manager, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful microservices, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: node.js, Java, AngularJS, React, Python, REST, JSON, XML, Ruby, Perl, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Hadoop, Chef, Maven, iOS, Android, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
- Lead, manage and grow a team of software engineers
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers your team.
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios - Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Work across to improve the velocity of your and other teams
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Break existing monolithic applications into micro service architectures and build new microservices
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 4 years’ experience in software development
- At least 2 years’ experience in people management
- Master’s Degree in computer Science or a Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
- 7+ years’ of experience in software development
- 7+ years’ of experience in Agile practices
**At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.**
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.