Senior Big Data Engineer
Job Title: Senior Big Data Engineer
Location: Vienna, VA, 22180, USA
Description: Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
Senior Big Data Engineer
**Capital One Overview**
At Capital One, we dare to dream, disrupt and deliver a better way. Our goal is simple – bring ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to an industry ripe for change. Founder-led, Capital One is on a mission to change banking for good and to help people live their best lives. Together, we will build one of America’s leading information-based technology companies. We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking. Join us.
**Tech College Overview**
We are creating something unique and unprecedented, a re-imagined hub for technology training, as a bold investment in developing our associates and leaders, recruiting top technical and non-technical talent, and continuing to differentiate ourselves in the market. You’ll be part of a team responsible for analyzing, designing, and developing highly engaging learning experiences and solutions that will fuel our growth as a Tech company and help our associates develop cutting-edge skills.
This is a rare opportunity to be in a role with meaningful impact, challenging problems to solve, creative freedom and autonomy, strong support, and the ability to stay on the cutting edge of knowledge, skills, and tech. If this sounds too amazing to be true, challenge us – go ahead, apply and see for yourself.
- Experiment, prototype, and develop sustainable data driven solutions with state-of-the-art technologies to meet the needs of our organization
- Exhibit strong skills and knowledge in distributed batch and stream compute platforms or distributed database and storage technologies
- Document and disseminate knowledge to team members and the wider organization
- Leverage reusable code and modules to solve problems across the team and organization
- Be capable of handling multiple functions and roles within a single project or team
- Follow, build, and demand strong software engineering principles across the team
- Be a self-motivated, driven individual with strong emphasis on team accountability
- Establish or maintain best practices across the team and organization where appropriate
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience professionally developing software as part of an agile team
- At least 2 years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- At least 1 year of experience with leading big and fast data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka
- 1 year experience with learning, mentoring others, and collaborative knowledge sharing
- 1 year experience providing technical leadership towards development of a product or platform
- AWS Certification
- 1 year experience working within a cloud computing model
- 1 year experience designing, developing, and implementing ETL pipelines
-1 year experience with distributed NoSQL data stores
- 1 year experience with Design Thinking methodology, rapid prototyping, and minimal viable product development
- 1 year experience with DevOps and CI/CD practices
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.