Job Title: Software Engineer
Location: Richmond, VA, 23261, USA
Description: West Creek 2 (12072), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
As a Capital One Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data.
**What you’ll do:**
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Ensure, where possible, that an automated approach is being taken in all aspects of software build and management
- Work along the boundary between engineering, QA, and operations to ensure that the release process is meeting their short-term and long-term needs
- Ensure build and release processes and procedures are followed
- Devise and operate the processes needed to ensure software builds are fast, automated and reliable
- Plan and support integrated platform releases per the RM process, while actively driving alignment of platform changes to pre-defined release schedules and identifying conflicts with other portfolio planned releases.
- Partner with the delivery teams to conduct and /or review release impact assessments and drive appropriate release level communications in a timely manner
- Work on production implementation event as required.
- Participate to support Release Planning meetings with the intent to align and influence scheduling decisions to optimize the Release strategy
- Provide regular updates to the Portfolio Release Engineering lead to ensure Portfolio level roadmaps, and other operational reports and metrics produced weekly accurately reflect planned and upcoming releases and their associated impacts and risks.
- Develop and provide process improvement recommendations based on customer and delivery team interactions to help mature and align RM services.
- Assess, plan and assist the product teams with the design of release packages prior to deployment into the environments
- Support an agile and iterative approach to development, testing, build and release
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 3 years experience in Software Development Life Cycle and IT operations
- At least 1 year experience developing and supporting automated build, continuous integration (CI) scripts
- 4 years' experience in Software Development Life Cycle and IT Operations
- 2 years' experience with application and/or data design, architecture and development
- 1 year experience in an automated deployment environment.
- 1 year experience with build process, repository managers and branching concepts
- 1 year experience of continuous integration and build automation tools including open source solutions
**At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.**
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.