Sr. Manager, Database Engineering
Job Title: Sr. Manager, Database Engineering
Location: McLean, VA, 22106, USA
Description: McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Sr. Manager, Database Engineering
Are you a lead database engineer that thrives in a vibrant, innovative and collaborative team? A master coder who has passion and a desire to remain hands-on in a rapid, dynamic environment? Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers.
As a Sr. Database Engineering Manager at Capital One, you'll be responsible for a team of engineers performing critical functions including administration of procedures and practices regarding data access and upkeep for a specific database technology. This includes working with agile delivery teams to determine changes needed to both the database and models, and then implementing those changes. Our DBA's support ongoing initiative efforts and day-to-day support activities for the department.
You will lead leading the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems, and will have the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role, leverage your engineering skills to build cool stuff, while also providing functional and technical leadership, and mentoring engineers on complex and high priority technology projects.
- Manage a team of 8 Database Engineers
- Engineering CI/CD solutions to support cloud based database technology
- Oversee database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls
- Accomplish platform upgrades and improvements
- Improve the effectiveness of database tools, services and security
- Ensure all data complies with legal regulations
- Vet and recommend new database technologies
- Work closely with Product, Data, and Delivery teams across the company
- Own the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform systems
- Drive tactical delivery for multiple teams.
- Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of systems, and determine priority of needs.
- Enforce company policies in areas of development methodology, architecture, security, change and configuration management, compliance, and HR.
- Analyze, define and document requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment
- Analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs.
- Coordinate coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions
- Responsible for key system design and integration decisions; and for communicating decisions to individuals implementing the system.
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 8 years combined experience with software development, platform engineering or database administration
- At least 5 years of experience managing software development projects through complete release cycles
- At least 5 years combined experience working with cross-functional business and technology teams
- At least 5 years of experience in people management
- At least 3 years of experience with database technologies
- Masters Degree
- 10+ years software development, platform engineering and/or database administration experience
- 6+ years experience in Agile practices
- 3+ years ITIL experience
- 5+ years experience with Oracle, MongoDB, SQL Server, etc.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.